Shrimp and grits are a quick, easy way to get the deep-south taste you crave. They’re great comfort food, perfect for those days when you just want something that’s going to make you feel like you’re back on the coast somewhere.
And it’s not just the taste that makes this dish so special—it’s also got a long history. Grits have been around since at least the 1600s when they were first made by Native Americans. Later, they were brought over to Europe during colonization, where they became popular with settlers in the Deep South and surrounding areas.
Shrimp and grits—a Southern classic. Ideal for a Sunday morning brunch with the family or a weeknight dinner for two.
Grits are a staple in Southern cooking and are made from cornmeal that has been ground into a fine powder. They’re often served with butter and cheese, but they can be seasoned in many different ways to create unique flavors.
Shrimp and grits are the perfect examples of how you can use your imagination to bring out the best in any ingredient. It’s a great way to show guests or loved ones how much you care about them without spending too much time on preparation or presentation!
Main Ingredients Needed
Traditional Shrimp and Grits Recipe
- 4 cups water
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup stone-ground grits
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 5 slices of country bacon, chopped
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 1 large clove of garlic, minced
- Bring water to a rapid boil. Add salt and pepper, and grits. Cook mixture starts to thicken. About 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheddar cheese and butter.
- Rinse and de-vein shrimp.
- Add bacon in a large skillet at medium heat and cook until browned. Remove from skillet and place on paper towel lined plate to remove excess grease.
- In grease, add shrimp. Cook for 5 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Add lemon juice, chopped bacon, parsley, scallions and garlic. Saute for an additional 3 minutes.
- Laddle grits into a serving bowl. Top each bowl with shrimp mixture and blend well. Serve promptly.
Claudia Faucher is a fitness trainer and lifestyle blogger, who recently started to pursue her other passions… Southern cooking and creating recipes.