This Slow Cooker Collard Greens and Ham Hocks Recipe is a Southern classic. They are a nutritious and tasty side dish to complement any meal. This recipe is a traditional one and is sure to please both the taste buds and the soul.
This easy-to-prepare dish has a short ingredient list, consisting mainly of smoked ham hocks for a savory flavor, collard greens (fresh or frozen), and spices.
This robust side dish is the perfect accompaniment to Southern classics like fried chicken, barbecue, or catfish. For a hearty meal, pair it with cornbread to soak up the savory broth, or serve it over white or brown rice for a satisfying, well-rounded dinner.
Cast iron skillet cornbread and collard greens pair well with any meal!
Main Ingredients Needed
Slow Cooker Collard Greens and Ham Hocks Recipe
- 2 pounds of ham hocks
- 8 cups of water
- 3 pounds of collard greens
- ½ cup white onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced.
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Add 2 pounds of ham hocks into a large pot with 8 cups of water and bring to a boil. Once water is boiling, reduce the heat and simmer for 2 hours.
- Take ham hocks from the pot. Remove skin and bone from ham hocks, and chop up the remaining meat. Return chopped meat to pot.
- Increase the heat to medium and add onion, garlic, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Optional, add 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes for a spicy flavor.
- Stir and slowly add 3 pounds of collard greens into your pot. They will quickly cook down as you add them to the hot water.
- Cover and reduce the heat to simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove from heat and serve.
Claudia Faucher is a fitness trainer and lifestyle blogger, who recently started to pursue her other passions… Southern cooking and creating recipes.