This Jalapeno Hushpuppies recipe is so delicious and easy to make, you’ll want to make them again and again.
They’re a fried southern dish based on cornbread, and they’re perfect as a side dish or appetizer. They can even be served as a meal on their own! These hushpuppies are full of flavor and spice, so if you like things that are spicy, this is the recipe for you.
How to serve
Serve these hushpuppies with your favorite dipping sauce. They’re delicious with spicy mayo, ranch dressing, or even just plain old ketchup! If you’re serving them as an appetizer, they’re best eaten right away while they are still warm.
They’re great with fried catfish, chicken tenders, or any southern dishes that use cornmeal as an ingredient. You could even serve them on their own if you wanted to make an entire meal out of these spicy fried treats.
Main Ingredients Needed
Fried Jalapeno Hushpuppies Recipe
- Peanut oil for frying
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup fresh jalapenos, seeded and finely diced or 1 can (7-ounce) of diced jalapeno peppers
- 1 (15-ounce) can of creamed corn
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising cornmeal
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 2 large eggs
- Salt and black pepper to season
- Heat the oil to 350 degrees F. in a deep-fryer or large skillet
- In a large mixing bowl, add cornmeal, flour, chopped onion, jalapenos, corn, and eggs, until thoroughly mixed.
- Post spoons of cornmeal mixture into the hot oil.
- Leave room for the hushpuppies to be turned. Cook the hushpuppies for 3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oil and place on paper towels to drain excess oil.
- Lightly season with salt and pepper before serving
Claudia Faucher is a fitness trainer and lifestyle blogger, who recently started to pursue her other passions… Southern cooking and creating recipes.
2 thoughts on “Easy Jalapeno Hushpuppies Recipes”